We write on behalf of our client, Mr. Antonio Nangel, Administrator of the National Irrigation Administration (“NIA”) in connection with the news article entitled “NIA Boss Masisibak?” published in the Abante tabloid on 12 January 2012.
In the said article, your tabloid maliciously hurled the following allegations against our client, Mr. Antonio Nangel, Administrator of the National Irrigation Administration (“NIA”):
1) That he will be supposedly removed from his position as Administrator of NIA;
2) That there have been purported talks in the NIA by its employees of the intention of the Department of Agriculture to remove Mr. Nangel from his post;
3) That there are allegedly seven (7) pending cases for graft and corruption against him that are lodged with Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales;
4) That his alleged closeness with former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo and his purported lack of accomplishments as Administrator of NIA are other causes for his impending removal;
5) That it was during his tenure as Chief of the Pampanga River and Irrigation where charges for graft and corruption were ostensibly filed against him; and
6) That he supposedly asks for twenty percent (20%) worth of commission from contractors or local government officials for each irrigation project.
Your office would do well to first verify its alleged sources in order to confirm that these assertions are not only misleading, but are also maliciously false and unfounded.
Such careless and malicious publication of patently baseless allegations is a hallmark of irresponsible, unprofessional and reckless journalism, which your office must always guard against.
In this light, we formally demand that your tabloid issue a formal retraction of the above-mentioned article.
Your failure to do so at the soonest possible time will constrain us to file the appropriate charges against those responsible therefore.
We trust that you will give this matter your utmost attention.
Very truly yours,
Stanley B. Fabito
Kathryn S. Sabado